Yerba mate, often known as mate, is a popular beverage that tastes similar to coffee or tea. It is produced from the leaves of the Ilex paraguariensis plant. Caffeine is an active ingredient in yerba mate along with other compounds that activate human organs like the brain, heart and muscles. Some studies also suggest that yerba mate energy drinks can positively affect athletic performance, memory and thinking skills, and a variety of other problems.
What is Yerba Mate?
Yerba mate is produced from the leaves of the yerba mate plant, found in the South American jungle. The leaves of the yerba mate plant are used to make caffeinated tea. Yerba mate has many health benefits because it is high in vitamins, amino acids and polyphenols (a plant chemical).
Mate or yerba mate tea is well-liked in South America, and its popularity is increasing worldwide. To produce this herbal tea, the leaves and twigs of the yerba mate plant are dried, usually over a fire and then steeped in hot water. Yerba mate, like black tea, contains caffeine and can be served either hot or cold.
The South Americans refer to yerba mate as "the drink of the gods," while European immigrants refer to it as "the green gold of the Indios."
Yerba mate is used as a natural treatment for the following ailments:
- Controlling your weight
- Long-lasting headaches
Yerba mate is consumed by millions of people and is highly renowned for its numerous health benefits.
How is Yerba Mate Good for You?
A hot cup of coffee or tea is the first beverage of the day for billions of people. However, in some parts of the world, people start their day with yerba mate, a drink you may not be familiar with. The traditional South American brew, Yerba mate, combines the power of coffee, the health benefits of tea and the delight of chocolate into one drink. You can buy yerba mate drinks from Sipwise beverages, as we offer 100% natural yerba mate coolers.
Some of its other health benefits are less well-known, at least among those of us who do not live in mate-drinking countries. Following are yerba mate's numerous evidence-based mental and physical health advantages:
- Yerba mate boosts energy: Yerba mate offers a moderate, clean and tranquil energy increase. It provides the most balanced energy boost when compared to the other most regularly used stimulants in the world, including coffee and tea. Yerba mate can make you experience a feeling of alert wakefulness similar to that of coffee but without the negative side effects of coffee. It does not produce caffeine jitters and rarely interferes with sleep. Yerba mate drink is used by athletes to improve their physical performance. It can help those with mental or physical exhaustion, as well as chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Aids mental acuity: Yerba mate sharpens the mind, enabling you to be more productive, focused and creative. Caffeine, the most extensively used psychoactive stimulant on the planet, is found in moderate amounts in yerba mate. Caffeine contains brain-boosting properties and improves memory, mood and arousal.
Yerba mate includes two similar chemicals, theobromine and theophylline, in addition to caffeine. Yerba mate has a cult following among brain hackers looking to improve their mental abilities. People prefer Yerba mate to coffee because it does not cause a crash and is non-addictive.
- High nutritional properties: Yerba mate is nutrient-dense and contains nearly all the micronutrients required for a healthy life. Each serving of mate has a high concentration of vitamins and minerals.
- Preventing Disease: Yerba mate has a high antioxidant blend that may help protect against cancer, inflammation, cardiovascular disease, liver disease and other ailments. Antioxidants are essential for a strong immune system.
- Improved physical performance: Studies have shown that caffeine increases muscle contractions, decrease fatigue, and boost athletic performance by up to 5%. People who consume yerba mate are known to experience physical performance benefits because of caffeine.
Is Yerba Mate Healthier than Green Tea?
In terms of preparation, Yerba mate and green tea are slightly different. Even though they require the same water temperature (between 160 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit), the steeping period for Yerba and green tea differs. For the first infusion, green tea is steeped for one or two minutes. After that, Yerba mate is usually steeped for around five minutes.
You can also re-steep yerba mate more frequently than green tea. After two or three re-steepings, green tea loses its flavour. The flavour of yerba mate can be re-steeped up to ten times before it loses its potency.
Since Yerba mate comes from the leaves of the yerba mate plant, its health benefits are higher than green tea.
In addition, yerba mate has higher antioxidant content than green tea (and other tea-based and non-tea-based drinks). As a result, it outperforms other antioxidants in terms of avoiding oxidative stress and harmful health impacts.
If you are looking for a 100% natural Yerba mate drink, then drinks from Sipwise are your best option. Sipwise offers What If Yerba Mate Cooler which is certified vegan and made by using brewed Argentinian yerba mate tea of the finest quality.
What If Yerba Mate Cooler is unmatched because of its superior benefits like improved mental clarity, alertness, focus and concentration.
In a nutshell, yerba mate offers many considerable health benefits and can be a great addition to your diet. In terms of antioxidant availability, caffeine concentration and overall nutrient makeup, yerba mate comes out on top. If you want a drink that improves your energy and provides you with critical vitamins and minerals (while also helping you burn body fat), choose Yerba mate.